Pragmatics and semiotics

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Pragmatics and semiotics

Post by Emiliana »

What's the difference?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Pragmatics and semiotics

Post by Katya »

Semiotics is the study of signs, where a sign is anything that has meaning. (Words have meaning, so linguistics is a subfield of semiotics, but semiotics can also include images, colors, gestures, etc.)

Pragmatics is the study of how context contributes to meaning. (Wikipedia also offers the definition: "The relation between signs and the effects they have on the people who use them," which clarifies that pragmatics is a subset of semiotics.)

Taken at a high level, semiotics and pragmatics tend to be very abstract fields, so people may disagree on specifics or more concrete aspects of the field, depending on which semiotician or school of thought they're more familiar with.
Waldorf and Sauron

Post by Waldorf and Sauron »

THANK YOU!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

You're quite welcome. :) (I will, however, admit to being very mystified as to why you found yourself in need of such information.)
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Thanks, Katya!
Katya wrote:(I will, however, admit to being very mystified as to why you found yourself in need of such information.)
I can't speak for W&S, but I actually got myself confused doing some research on the "triangle of reference" for work (I do some freelance writing on the side -- it's only a step above content-farm work, but hey, I'm getting paid to learn interesting things!).
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

oh, Emiliana, I've been doing some freelancing at Deseret Connect. If I may ask, where do you work?
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Emiliana wrote:I'm getting paid to learn interesting things!
This is exactly why I like cataloging theses and dissertations.
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

I work for the website wisegeek: https://www.wisegeek.com/freelance-writing-jobs.htm

Like I said, it's a bit hokey, but it can also be a lot of fun. :)
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Hey, that sounds like what I'm currently doing (i.e., the Board (duh)). Looks like fun! :)
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

hey, cool! I might apply :-).
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

mic0 wrote:Hey, that sounds like what I'm currently doing (i.e., the Board (duh)). Looks like fun! :)
Yep, it is a bit like the Board, except with better pay and a lot less personality.
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Also, the editors and proofreaders on the Board probably let you use Oxford commas, unlike my editor at wiseGeek. Rawr.
Gimgimno
Cotton-headed Ninny-muggins

Post by Gimgimno »

Oh gosh. I need Oxford commas sometimes. I help proofread answers, and it drives me crazy at times when writers opt out of using Oxford commas when I think they would be helpful.

I think I would cry a little bit every time that someone removed my Oxfords. I loves thems.
Emiliana

Post by Emiliana »

Eh ... actually, guys, they're about to start a process of revamping the whole site, and they're not likely to be taking on new writers for quite some time.