68980 - another gay thread

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

TheBlackSheep
The Best

68980 - another gay thread

Post by TheBlackSheep »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/68980/

1. No, you aren't just lacking enough faith to get married. If you know you can't sustain a heterosexual relationship, please don't get married, and please let go of that guilt.

2. Look up BYU USGA post haste. Make friends there. Also, for the love, look up anything by Carol Lynn Pearson. Books, interviews (Mormon Stories), whatever. Email the lady. Send her the same question, even. She'll write you back and she's amazing.

3. Once you're feeling ready, please come out, not just to those you are closest to but everybody. I understand how terrifying that is, but that's the best way to make that process easier for those who are coming after us. And, as RP said, I don't think you need to clarify for everyone else's comfort whether or not you plan to date men if you don't want to.

4. My brother, please stop calling yourself a fag in your head. What a shame-producing word when used in that way. You have nothing to be ashamed of, and you don't deserve that kind of hate speech, especially from yourself.

5. You can email me, too, should you need support. I've come out! It's scary! I was just barely out of BYU at the time! And I put the Friendly in Friendly Neighborhood Agnostic, pinky promise.
Yarjka

Re: 68980 - another gay thread

Post by Yarjka »

that's the best way to make that process easier for those who are coming after us.
I totally misread this and thought "People are coming after you? Why would you give them information to make it easier to find you?"
UnluckyStuntman

Post by UnluckyStuntman »

TheBlackSheep wrote: 2. Look up BYU USGA post haste. Make friends there. Also, for the love, look up anything by Carol Lynn Pearson. Books, interviews (Mormon Stories), whatever. Email the lady. Send her the same question, even. She'll write you back and she's amazing.
Amen. I want to give the poor guy a hug. Being Mormon + gay + at BYU is a rough combination.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Best wishes to you, brother.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I feel a tiny sliver of his pain - I was always like "What? There are attractive men on campus? I've only seen all the attractive women."
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

Amen. And I will continue to hope for a day when being in a same-sex relationship is no longer considered a sin.
Watts

Post by Watts »

TheBlackSheep wrote:2. Look up BYU USGA post haste. Make friends there. Also, for the love, look up anything by Carol Lynn Pearson. Books, interviews (Mormon Stories), whatever. Email the lady. Send her the same question, even. She'll write you back and she's amazing.
DO IT! USGA is the best thing that has happened to BYU in a long time. It is a wonderful environment full of wonderful and diverse people. I recently started attending with my cousin and I love the feeling of pure love you can feel in that room every week.