The Church and the ERA

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

The Church and the ERA

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/70540/

In case anyone is interested, I have a copy of a booklet put out by the Church in 1980 that is about their stance on the ERA. It's about a dozen pages long and goes into detail about every question someone could have. I might put some more information here right now, but it's at home and I wanted to post this before I forgot. I only got about halfway through it before I hit the abortion and gay marriage parts and got a little sick to my stomach.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Re: The Church and the ERA

Post by Laser Jock »

Sorry if my answer upset you, bob. :) Someone asked another question about the ERA so this time I get to argue in favor of it.

(I like arguing both sides; I didn't bring up pro-ERA stuff in the last one because it seemed out of place when I was supposed to explain why the Church was against it, but hopefully this will make it slightly more balanced. Though until I do the pro-ERA research, I don't know which side I actually, personally am in favor of.)
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Re: The Church and the ERA

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

Your answer didn't upset me. The booklet bothered me a little, but I've long since realized that there will be things about the Church that bother me. : ) I just wanted to offer more information to anyone who wanted it, since all you were able to find was the article and I had the whole book. Honestly, reading the booklet was just a reminder that nothing is black and white; I both agreed and disagreed with different points. It's amazing how vague wording (that is, that of the proposed amendment) can make things so complicated!
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.