Unreasonable Roommate

Your chance to pontificate on the subject of your choice. (Please keep it PG-rated.)
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Unreasonable Roommate

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

My roommate is an absolute despot. I'm paying 100 more a month than she is so I can have three things: lease holders rights, the designated parking spot, and the master bedroom. We split utilities evenly.

I could tell about 10 stories of her being a terrible roommate, but I'll stick to the latest one.

Back in the beginning of December, she suggested we try keeping the wall heaters on at a low setting constantly because it would be more efficient than turning them on and off whenever we come in. I agreed, because unlike most times, the logic made sense to me. We did this and our heating bill was $40 higher than the previous month. Now, November had been warmer than December, and we'd made this change.

She reacted by saying she wouldn't pay for the extra if it kept charging at that high price because she had already budgeted for the lower cost. I said that it was unfair of her to blame me for this and I expected her to pay her full share. She determined that we wouldn't turn the heaters on anymore. I thought this meant not on minimal and try to avoid using them at other times too. So I haven't used the heaters in the living or dining rooms since we got the bill.

Today I had my hairdresser come over to give me a cut, and I was only wearing a tank top, so I turned on the heater. She came in and flipped out. It had been on for less than an hour. Within five minutes of her turning it off, it was freezing again. My hairdresser was wearing a sweater and he commented on it. The uncomfortable silence was broken by him singing "It's a wonderful day in the neighborhood."

I'm just about ready to strangle her. She moves out at the end of February. I'm counting the days. I'm tempted to hang a paper chain and wait until she asks what it's for. The way she's acting is making me want to be really mean.
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.
Whistler

Re: Unreasonable Roommate

Post by Whistler »

it sounds like your roommate is stressed about money and taking it out on you, which is impolite/unfair. You can make it another month and a half!
SmurfBlueSnuggie

Re: Unreasonable Roommate

Post by SmurfBlueSnuggie »

Well, she's also gotten on me for using her TV. Which she originally told me I could use and has set it up on my TV stand. If it were just about money, I feel like I could understand.

Thanks for the support, though. I'm interviewing new roommates right now to see who will be the best fit. :)
It doesn't matter what happened to get you to today, beyond shaping your understanding. What really matters is where you go from here.