During what time of the day do you read for fun?

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
mic0

During what time of the day do you read for fun?

Post by mic0 »

I've found I only read for fun in the afternoon or evening. I've been thinking about trying to get up earlier in the morning (read: 8:30 instead of 9:30) but I have no external reason. Reading could be one, but I have some instinctual feeling that reading fiction (like, currently, "The Martian") in the morning is just *wrong*. I feel weird about reading non-fiction for fun in the morning, too. So, when do you do your fun reading? Does it change whether or not it is fiction or non-fiction?
Tally M.

Re: During what time of the day do you read for fun?

Post by Tally M. »

At night, though lately I've been reading on my kindle as I dry my hair and stuff in the morning. I think it's because I worry that it'll eat up too much of my time, and it's easier to put a book down to sleep than to do things I have to do.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I read while I did elliptical this morning. I guess, yeah, if I wake up and just start reading it would feel like my day was off to a lazy start, although that never happens now that I wake up to offspring! Lately I have been watching some TV right after breakfast though, and it does seem a little early for TV to me.

This is kind of interesting because even though I think that all media consumption is about equally a time-killer, I still have some lingering evidence that reading is more "virtuous" than videogames or TV. Like, if you're reading it's good for you, but anything else is basically an indulgence. An indulgence I don't mind!
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Tally M: How in the world do you read while drying your hair?? That seems like it would require acrobatics. Also that is an interesting reason to generally not read in the morning.

Whistler: Since you were doing the elliptical, it mitigated the non-productive aspect of the reading? :)
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

mic0 wrote:Tally M: How in the world do you read while drying your hair?? That seems like it would require acrobatics. Also that is an interesting reason to generally not read in the morning.
Oh, I just prop my kindle up on the shelf just below my mirror and glance at it occasionally
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Much less exciting than I was imagining. :) Drying my hair is so time and labor intensive I usually just don't bother. Reading would make it slightly more interesting.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

mic0 wrote:Much less exciting than I was imagining. :) Drying my hair is so time and labor intensive I usually just don't bother. Reading would make it slightly more interesting.
Yeah, I have to dry it after a shower or it comes out funny. Reading on my kindle makes my life easier and more entertaining.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

mic0 wrote: Whistler: Since you were doing the elliptical, it mitigated the non-productive aspect of the reading? :)
Pretty much! It made up for the hour I spent watching TV :lol:
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I read on the bus and during my lunch break/lunch time at school. I also occasionally read before bed but that usually leads to staying up too late.

I used to read during every meal (at least the ones I ate alone) but now that I have a computer I usually eat at my desk.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Portia

Post by Portia »

At all hours, though "fun" and "before 9" are contradictory.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Sometimes I watch streaming shows while on the treadmill, it *is* pretty great. Not sure I could read and run though.

bob: I used to read on the bus all the time and during lunch on campus! Ah, good times.

Portia: Ugh. That's true. That's why I just don't even *really* want to get up earlier. It seems like A Good Thing Adults Should Do, I guess.
Portia

Post by Portia »

mic0 wrote:Portia: Ugh. That's true. That's why I just don't even *really* want to get up earlier. It seems like A Good Thing Adults Should Do, I guess.
Heck no, I'm pretty sure the best part of adulthood is sleeping in every Saturday.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I used to try to read and run! It is weird.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
NerdGirl
President of the Lutheran Sisterhood Gun Club

Post by NerdGirl »

If I get a decent lunch break, I read novels on my kindle (or the kindle app on my phone). And also before bed.