Julie Rowe and LDS Eschatology Wonks (Preppers)

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Cognoscente

Julie Rowe and LDS Eschatology Wonks (Preppers)

Post by Cognoscente »

https://www.reddit.com/r/latterdaysaint ... ns_of_the/

Who is Julie Rowe and why is she being aloud to give what amounts to a Samuel The Lamanite book tour using LDS meetinghouses?

And on a larger note, I've started to see a lot of this whole "prepper" movement in the last little while. Is it just me noticing now, or has there always been a scared apocalyptic vein of End-of-the-worldism on the fringes of Mormonism? I'm not talking about food storage or a belief in the end times by itself, that's within the mainstream of the faith. The concept of food storage itself is perfectly sensible. I mean the folks talking about an imminent Russian/Chinese/UN takeover of Utah or that the NWO is arriving in 2016. Is it just a coincidental confluence of regular conspiracy theorists and naive, well-intentioned Mormons?
Early to bed and early to rise
Precludes you from seeing the most brilliant starry nights
Rainbow_connection

Re: Julie Rowe and LDS Eschatology Wonks (Preppers)

Post by Rainbow_connection »

I understand there have recently been several books of "prophecies" published that say the world is ending within the next few years. I have some relatives and friends who have embraced the whole prepper mentality and they all point to thedr books of visions.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

I rarely hear of people who are "out there" receiving church discipline, and um, setting yourself up as a prophetess does seem heretical. I looked on her website and it looks like she doesn't allow recording of her firesides, which make it difficult to pinpoint what, exactly, she's claiming. Although I guess if she's allowing at the meetinghouses she's probably okay by the right people.

Also, do they not know about the war games going on in Utah as part of military training? I imagine that's what the tanks are for. You've got to practice using them somehow/somewhere.
Rainbow_connection

Post by Rainbow_connection »

No, they know about the war games. They just don't think it's going to be a game. Instead the U.S. Military will take over and we'll all be forced into FEMA death camps inside Walmart. I don't know how anyone can say this with a straight face...
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Rainbow, my brother hardcore believes that kind of thing about FEMA. It is very hard to talk to him. I wonder if he knows about Julie Rowe...

I thought recordings in general aren't allowed in the sacrament hall? (Sidenote: I've been out of the church too long apparently -- is sacrament hall the right term? What is the main part where sacrament meeting takes place called? I didn't think 3 years was long enough to forget jargon.)
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler, this reminds me so much of that book we both read, The Righteous Mind.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Usually it's just the chapel but sacrament hall didn't sound unusual to me.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

Chapel, of course! Thanks. :P
Portia

Post by Portia »

Whistler wrote:I rarely hear of people who are "out there" receiving church discipline, and um, setting yourself up as a prophetess does seem heretical.
What next, women getting the priesthood?

</ducks>
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Portia wrote:Whistler, this reminds me so much of that book we both read, The Righteous Mind.
How having extreme beliefs unifies people?