Large knife

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Whistler

Large knife

Post by Whistler »

My sister bought my little brother an 11" knife off his wishlist... but he lives in BYU housing. I guess it probably qualifies as a "large knife" and isn't allowed there? Or is it just if someone reports him? My sister delivered the package to me so I could wrap it, so I feel some responsibility here.
Rainbow_connection

Re: Large knife

Post by Rainbow_connection »

Is it a kitchen knife or like a hunting knife? We definitely had bread knives and watermelon knives in my apartments that were that long, but if it's only a weapon without a valid culinary use he may be more likely to be reported.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

it's a Bowie knife, and I think it's meant for using outdoors to like, cut down branches for your fire and to look cool.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

Yeah Wikipedia specifically says that's a fighting knife...
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

well, I warned him about it, but he acted like it wouldn't be a big deal. I guess I'll update if he gets kicked out of BYU over it!
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Wow, I didn't even know this was a thing.

BYU housing restrictions are really strange sometimes.
Deus ab veritas
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

One of my former co-workers apparently dated a guy for 6 months before realizing that he was armed at all times, including on campus. So apparently it's possible to have a weapon secretly. NOT that I approve of that.
Genuine Article
Board Writer

Post by Genuine Article »

Optimistic. had a roommate at BYU who would not-so-subtly hint that he had a gun. Basically he creeped everyone in the apartment out but they couldn't confront him because, well, he had a gun. So they stuck it out until they could move away without being confrontational about it.
Rainbow_connection

I don't think it's terribly unusual. I checked UCLA, MIT, and the University of Utah's housing policies and they all forbid weapons including large knives.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Rainbow_connection wrote:I don't think it's terribly unusual. I checked UCLA, MIT, and the University of Utah's housing policies and they all forbid weapons including large knives.
The difference is that all of those universities have their housing on campus, and don't require that everyone live in their housing.
Deus ab veritas
Rainbow_connection

That's true, and I do find that odd and a little paternalistic. But the actual terms of the housing policies are fairly normal.
Zedability

Post by Zedability »

In general, BYU's off-campus housing policies basically try to assert the same rules as living on campus, so it makes sense that a normal on-campus rule would become an off-campus one too.

For instance, I'm sure at least some other universities have a curfew for dorms, but don't extend that off-campus.