How to layer/keep warm?

Don't have 100 hours, or answered your question yourself? Ask for help and post your answers here!
Whistler

How to layer/keep warm?

Post by Whistler »

Someone posted this to my baby-hiking group http://blog.icebreaker.com/wp-content/u ... oLayer.jpg

It... sounds like an advertisement for merino wool. Is it true that a cotton base layer just makes you feel cold? Usually my down coat is enough to make me feel warm, and I don't sweat much, so maybe it doesn't affect me as much? But if it is true, then I'm not really sure how to make garments work with dressing warmly effectively.
Shrinky Dink

Re: How to layer/keep warm?

Post by Shrinky Dink »

Yay! I feel like I can definitely answer this question.

As humans, we are constantly sweating even when we feel dry. For the most part, this sweat is evaporated into the environment. However, when we're wearing many layers, that sweat takes longer to evaporate. I feel like I sweat a normal amount, but when I had a snowboarding class last year, I was wearing a bunch of layers. I would be fine for most of the day, but I would feel a little cold when I would stop moving around as much and when I would get on the bus and take off my coat. I wear carinessa garments, but I had some thermal underwear that I would wear over my garments.

We know that moisture typically increases the rate of heat transfer through an object, and it makes us feel cooler. This is why it's so cold when we get out of the pool, but we've warmed up after we're dry even though the air temperature is the same. But two other factors are going to be how much heat are you generating, and what is the temperature on the other layer of the moist clothing. If you're generating a lot of heat (hiking, swimming, snowboarding, etc), you probably won't feel near as cold until you stop generating heat. Also, if you have enough layers insulating you, it's likely that the temperature on the other side of your garments will probably be between 70-75 degrees, even with an increased rate of heat transfer, it likely won't feel cold then either.

To help regulate your heat while wearing garments, you could try wearing Dri Lux or DriSilque, both of which are recommended because they dry quickly. The Thermax garments are polyester, but they likely breathe pretty well by the looks of them. I would recommend wearing the garments that you're comfortable with and having your second layer be some type of thermal under wear. They're a little expensive, but you can find them at any outdoors store (I have two pairs so I can rotate them). For the outside layers, I would just use what you already have, assuming that it is comfortable.

While snowboarding on my lower half, I eventually found myself wearing my garments, a layer of thermal bottoms, some basketball shorts, snowboarding socks, and my snowboard pants. I would also bring a pair of pj pants to change into for the ride home since just my thermals and shorts weren't enough to keep me comfortable. On my top half, I wore my garments, a soft long sleeve t-shirt, and my coat and gloves. I also brought a second lighter jacket to wear on the ride home.

Honestly, wear what's comfortable and if you're worried, bring some extra clothes in the car to change into later if you got wet or sweaty.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*
Whistler

Re: How to layer/keep warm?

Post by Whistler »

thanks for your in-depth answer! I need to go winter clothes shopping soon...