STAR WARS discussion thread

Any miscellaneous posts can live here.
Portia

STAR WARS discussion thread

Post by Portia »

If you're avoiding spoilers, best to be avoided.

So I was essentially a STAR WARS virgin going in. I saw Phantom Menace, but that's like getting to second base. Please.

I thought it was a solidly acted movie with a relate able character arc. It reminded me of How to Train Your Dragon in some ways.

I liked it, but have a hard time relating to the all-consuming fandom. (But that's true with most fandoms.) I'm glad I got the chance to see it, though!
Whistler

Re: STAR WARS discussion thread

Post by Whistler »

I saw it yesterday! I definitely think seeing IV-VI is necessary to enjoy The Force Awakens... all the references were a bit ridiculous, but fun and I guess part of the campy style. I enjoyed the movie but I wish they had changed up the "template" from IV more.
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

Finally saw the movie tonight. (Don't judge. I don't get out much anymore.)

Whistler: Agreed. It was a little too much of a repeat rather than a new movie. Kind of reminds me of the first movie in the Star Trek reboot (my lesson: J. J. Abrams is not my friend). That said, I did really enjoy it and I'm somewhat optimistic about the rest of the series.

HOWEVER, unless they can somehow bring closure to Han and Leia's relationship in the sequels, I will probably never be able to watch that movie again. That was not okay.
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yayfulness wrote: HOWEVER, unless they can somehow bring closure to Han and Leia's relationship in the sequels, I will probably never be able to watch that movie again. That was not okay.
no body no death, right? is that what you're referring to?
yayfulness
Board Writer

Post by yayfulness »

No, I have no doubt that he is in fact dead. I guess I'm just really unhappy with the state of his relationship with Leia at the time of his death, and I'd be a lot more satisfied if there was some indication that it was repaired to its full original trilogy level.

Now that I'm not just giving my immediate gut reaction, I'm a bit more accepting of it. But it's still not a satisfying conclusion to one of the most rewarding and chemistry-filled relationships of the original trilogy.
Portia

Post by Portia »

I'm interrupting this thread to say that wow, young Harrison Ford is incredibly handsome. And young Mark Hamill was a twerp. :P
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

yayfulness wrote:No, I have no doubt that he is in fact dead. I guess I'm just really unhappy with the state of his relationship with Leia at the time of his death, and I'd be a lot more satisfied if there was some indication that it was repaired to its full original trilogy level.

Now that I'm not just giving my immediate gut reaction, I'm a bit more accepting of it. But it's still not a satisfying conclusion to one of the most rewarding and chemistry-filled relationships of the original trilogy.
yeah, I wish there had been more scenes between Han and Leia!