90302 - How to help a young, sexually assaulted family membe

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

TheBlackSheep
The Best

90302 - How to help a young, sexually assaulted family membe

Post by TheBlackSheep »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/90302/

I can tell I've been watching a lot of RuPaul's Drag Race (because it is the only meaningful thing life has given us, Ru be praised) because I wanted to start this comment off with, "No T, no shade."

Waiting to get someone into therapy after a trauma is a mistake, especially since the person in question is an otherwise-traumatized just barely adult. Yes, she is an adult so she has the ability to choose what she'd like to do, but it's time to strong-arm. "Hey, I hear that you don't want to tell your parents, but we need to take care of you. So I need you to give me a bit more information and we need to make a plan and put it into place. Otherwise, your parents need to know because someone has to take care of you." Then follow that up.

Also, those online services often won't take people with big, recent traumas or suicidal ideation because it is a big liability and is quite possibly unethical.

These questions aren't that hard to consult an expert on, and they are bad ones to just hazard a guess. Yeah, the Board writers aren't legal or medical experts, but their opinions have weight or else people wouldn't ask questions. I have all the respect in the world for the Board writers being busy college students (I remember that), but it seems like a source could have been consulted at some point along this journey, as it is so important.
TheBlackSheep
The Best

Re: 90302 - How to help a young, sexually assaulted family m

Post by TheBlackSheep »

Also, call a crisis line. They should be aware of resources in the area, even and especially low- or no-cost services. You can also consult places that deal a lot with young adults with parental issues or lack of support. LGBT centers come to mind. They might have ideas, even if the kid in question is straight and cis.
Shrinky Dink

Re: 90302 - How to help a young, sexually assaulted family m

Post by Shrinky Dink »

I have submitted a correction encouraging the OP to call the National Sexual Assault Hotline or visit www.rainn.org so that they can receive more help on how to appropriately address this family member. Their number is 1-800-656-HOPE for anyone who may need it.
*Insert Evil Laughter Here*