92217 - maintain identity with kids

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

mic0

92217 - maintain identity with kids

Post by mic0 »

https://100hourboard.org/questions/92217

With alumni week around the corner, I thought I'd check the front page of the Board for the first time in AT LEAST a year. (Plus I've got some programs running and am really just waiting on them to finish.)

Just wanted to say, hey, these are really nice thoughtful answers! There's good advice; I think Sheebs hinted at the fact that >40 hours of work a week without a second parent around is a lot, and I'd explicitly say "FRICK YO! That's too much time for work!!!" Then again, I know I'm from a place of immense privilege when it comes to work hours (and my husband's work hours).

Also, maybe there are people who truly enjoy kids music, but I don't know who they are, and I exclusively listen to music I like with baby. :P And I watch sitcoms I like with him. He likes watching people talk, so, it's educational RIGHT?
Whistler

Re: 92217 - maintain identity with kids

Post by Whistler »

yeah I think the question asker has more issues than just being a SAHM. It's stressful for anyone to have to be responsible for an entire household 3/4 of the year. She says she's not depressed and doesn't want to get a job, but her comment about "not being made correctly" makes me wonder if maybe she is depressed.

On the other hand, I would love to hear about things parents have done that make them enjoy parenting more. I think making sure my daughter is dressed and fed is pretty boring. I do occasionally enjoy playing games with her or listening to her explain her drawings. But I'm also really glad I have a part-time job to still have a part of me that doesn't have anything to do with her.