Make Another Gmail?

Introduce yourself and meet other readers!
Werf_Must

Make Another Gmail?

Post by Werf_Must »

After almost a year, idly reading the board got well... almost boring. So I decided to come start posting here. The problem with that is just that as I get to know you guys, I want to exchange contact info to chat or comment on one of your blogs (well, blogs are a little more loose, but providing my first name and a link to my profile which goes to my blog is kind of weird when you have no idea who the heck I am). And my current gmail has my name in it. So now the decision is if I need to make a new gmail account that doesn't have my name in it so I can post on people's blogs and chat. And yet, I know that if I were to make another account, I wouldn't check it very often. What are your thoughts? Have you all made secondary accounts?
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I have four, actually. Hotmail, Gmail, and two Yahoo!. The Gmail and one Yahoo! are my main accounts. The others haven't been checked in months.

So yeah, I have two main accounts.
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Nanti-SARRMM
Location: Beyond the Mountains of the Copper Miners into the Desert of Absolute Boredom

Post by Nanti-SARRMM »

I have a secondary gmail. Actually I have a primary hotmail and gmail, a yahoo address that serves as a secondary and a secondary gmail. plus work email.
This site, and the opinions and statements contained herein do not necessarily reflect on my sanity, or lack thereof.
Werf_Must

Post by Werf_Must »

I have a yahoo which is misspelled that I made in the 6th grade? Right about there, but it is actually a pretty cool name (not near as many yahoo users back then), I have another Yahoo, the one I use for spam email and for Yahoo IM, and then I have my gmail. Mostly, I am constantly on my gmail, but I occasionally check the spam Yahoo...
chillygator
Board Princess

Post by chillygator »

I have a hotmail, yahoo and gmail and am chillylint on every one of them (if anyone wants to be friends because I'm not terribly secretive...as anyone reading my blog may know). I also have a secondary gmail account but that's one I just use for work. I forward all the e-mails from there to my chillylint one since I don't always get on my work gmail.
xkcd ***
Location: The spiritual BYU campus, but apparently not as Holy as BYU-I.

Post by xkcd *** »

I have 2 gmail accounts, one's my full name, and one is totally off the wall. I also have an aol account, but that's a hassle. I say go ahead and make a new account.
Tangerine

Post by Tangerine »

I have a gmail account for my real self, two for Tangerine, one for another Board alias of mine, one @byu.net alias, one @byu.edu alias, one hotmail account, one gmail account for a BYU club that I help run, and then my work email.

So... I think that's a total of nine email addresses. Sick.
Unit of Energy
Title Bar Moderator

Post by Unit of Energy »

Let's see, I have 6 yahoo emails, a hotmail, gmail, the community college email from my home town, 2 @byu.net aliases and I think that's it. I did have another yahoo, but it got deleted. So that's 11 email addresses that I remember, I might have a myname at byu.edu, but I think I had that one cancelled.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I'm at 2 gmails and a yahoo right now. I have my facebook spamming the yahoo. I have a board reader one, and I have a one I use for everything else. When I made the second gmail for the Board, I couldn't believe that giovanni.schwartz@gmail.com was already taken. It made me sad.
Fredjikrang
Never Coming Back?

Post by Fredjikrang »

I have two Yahoo I think, (one may not be active any more) used to have a hotmail, and have a gmail. I only use the Yahoo address actively.
[img]http://fredjikrang.petfish.net/Fence-banner.png[/img]
A Mom, but not yours

Post by A Mom, but not yours »

This is beginning to sound like perfect fodder for a self-help group.

Hello, I'm A Mom, but not yours, and I have too many email addresses. I have one for work, a hotmail, 2 msn, a yahoo (or possibly 2), and a gmail account. I even check three of those on an almost daily basis. If you need to reach me, you can email me at....
ahem.
Cute Shoes

Post by ahem. »

Go ahead and get another gmail, and then just have it forward everything to your primary. I have several gmail accounts, but I never check any of them. I only sign in if I need to respond to something anonymously.
Portia

Post by Portia »

One Hotmail, one Yahoo!, one Gmail, one fake celebrity name Gmail, one Boardish Gmail, one @theboard.byu.edu, two @byu.edu, one @nm.byu.edu.

Thus, like Tangerine, I have nine.

Edit: oh, yes, I may have an AIM name . . . not sure if that's the same as AOL, or if it expired or something.
Laser Jock
Tech Admin

Post by Laser Jock »

Yep, like the others here, I've done just as you suggested to solve problems with multiple identities (not personalities, mind you). The easiest way so that you don't have to sign in to the other one is to have it forward everything to your main one, but sign in to the secondary one to reply to people, as ahem. pointed out.

(And for the record, I have three Board Gmail accounts, two other Gmail accounts, an old Yahoo account that I still use for random things, two byu.net aliases, and one byu.edu alias. So I guess that's nine e-mail addresses. All except the Yahoo account (which doesn't allow forwarding) forward to my one main Gmail account. It is for reasons like this that I adore Gmail.)
Benvolio

Post by Benvolio »

A secondary Gmail account is a good option. Just set it to forward to your other account, or set up a filter. I confess, I have 6 Gmail accounts for the various facets of my life. (A person one, two for blogging, a pro bono one, a community organization one, and a 100 Hour Board one.
- Benvolio