Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Katya »

S.A.M. wrote:https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/74896/
Concorde wrote:...from what I've noticed about life, it's the people who think they aren't bishop material that end up making great bishops. I would be more worried if your boyfriend was going around saying "You know, I'd make a great Bishop someday."
+1 Well put Concorde.
Seriously. So many misconceptions in that original question, but this was a particularly nice point.
vorpal blade

Post by vorpal blade »

S.A.M. wrote:https://theboard.byu.edu/questions/74896/
Concorde wrote:...from what I've noticed about life, it's the people who think they aren't bishop material that end up making great bishops. I would be more worried if your boyfriend was going around saying "You know, I'd make a great Bishop someday."
+1 Well put Concorde.
My stake president used to say that he'd never recommend a man to be made a bishop who said that he should be a bishop. And he never did.

I'd be a little concerned if the reason for thinking he was not bishop material was because he didn't have a testimony. If the person meant that he had no empathy for others then I would be concerned. If he just didn't get tearful and emotional that would not be a problem. Besides, men get a lot more emotional as they get older.
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/74769/

@Concorde: UNTIL THEY GET OLD AND MOLDY.
Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Post by Marduk »

Was there an unbagged board member in those posts?
Deus ab veritas
Giovanni Schwartz

Former Board member, yes.

Not that I've ever met him, but, hey.
Concorde

Post by Concorde »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/74769/

AND MAY THAT DAY NEVER COME!
Seriously, I've had that squash for like three months. I'm fairly certain it's magical or radioactive or something. Sometimes it glows.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Um, what is a 'Christian town'? Pretty sure mainstream Christians think Mormons are going to hell, FWIW. As someone who is moving back to Utah, this really makes me super duper excited for the culture wars, yup.

I feel like starting an Association for Non-Mormon Non-Christian Utah People Who Aren't Dicks.
mic0

Post by mic0 »

There's a Unitarian Universalist church in Utah Valley, that's pretty close to that association you've come up with. :D
wryness

Post by wryness »

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if someone notices a lot more inappropriate behavior in Utah simply because of the emotional response that is connected to the events (the disgust, surprise, etc. when someone realizes that another Mormon has treated them poorly). It's a lot easier to recognize and remember events that are associated with a strong emotional response.

I'd also suspect that there is a converse but similar reaction for Utah Mormons; if they're not the traveling type and then they venture out elsewhere in the world, their brains are probably going to expect to see (and then fulfill that prophecy), "Oh, look at the rude/bad stuff that all of the non-Mormons are doing!"

If we expect something to be positively different and it's the same, it can seem negatively different. If we expect things to seem negatively different, they might appear that way even if they're not that different.

...then again, in my rural hometown I never saw a man passed out drunk on the sidewalk after a hard night of partying. So, there's that, too.
Portia

Post by Portia »

But how do you know the religious affiliation of the guy who cut you off or the woman giving the middle finger? Why don't we all just try to be decent, civilized people and leave Christianity out of it.
wryness

Post by wryness »

EDIT: I guess I didn't really address the question. I'd just argue that it's hard not to have Mormon-ness in mind when you think you're in an area with lots of Mormons. I'd think about Catholics if I were in Rome or Italy/Spain in general, for example. Fun With Stereotypes!
- - -
We should just expect everyone to be civilized, but when you live in an area with a large population of any group, there tend to be divided expectations. As a Mormon, I have a very concrete set of expectations about what Mormons are supposed to do. I might make snap judgments about supposed non-Mormons' values, but I don't generally get as frustrated with them because I have an easy excuse (blame it on their supposed lack of values)--whereas if a Mormon is a jerk to me, I am frustrated because I hold them to a higher standard. I might not even hold myself to that standard all the time, but I expect it of someone who is part of that same cultural group. It's the whole mote-beam thing, I think.

Of course that is a hypothetical "me" in the paragraph above--I hope I'm not really that prejudiced!

The solution is to simply give everyone the benefit of the doubt. I like my sister's approach--whenever someone cuts us off on the freeway, she just says "they are probably hurrying to the hospital because their wife is about to give birth." Lots of babies coming, apparently... :D
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Concorde wrote:

Seriously, I've had that squash for like three months. I'm fairly certain it's magical or radioactive or something. Sometimes it glows.
Concorde, that's because it's a winter squash. It has a hard shell. It's meant to last for many months. But... come late winter/early spring, I'm gonna be surprised if it's as hardy as it seems now.
Concorde

Post by Concorde »

Dragon Lady wrote:
Concorde wrote:

Concorde, that's because it's a winter squash. It has a hard shell. It's meant to last for many months. But... come late winter/early spring, I'm gonna be surprised if it's as hardy as it seems now.
Then I shall make the most of the dwindling time we still have together.
Giovanni Schwartz

Please take fake engagement pictures with it and post them on facebook for everyone you know to love.
Giovanni Schwartz

Dear Concorde,

I find it highly amusing that your squash got more votes than ANY of the baby pictures. All of them. And is the second highest voted question from the last week, only to Rating Pending's retirement. In fact, if you didn't know, you're already on the "best answers this quarter" list with that.

Props.

Gio
Concorde

Post by Concorde »

Am I really? Dang. I feel kind of bad about that. I mean, those were all cute babies and pets and stuff and I was kind of a loser and posted a cop-out squash picture and steal all the thunder.

Oops...
Portia

Post by Portia »

Concorde wrote:Am I really? Dang. I feel kind of bad about that. I mean, those were all cute babies and pets and stuff and I was kind of a loser and posted a cop-out squash picture and steal all the thunder.

Oops...
Don't feel bad for one second. Babies are boring. Squashes are adorable.
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/74998/

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE JUST TELL HER THE WORD IS "SECEDE"
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

bobtheenchantedone wrote:http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/74998/

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE JUST TELL HER THE WORD IS "SECEDE"
Oh my goodness, yes. That was pretty much my thought exactly. When I got through the third answer on the second question and no one had still corrected her... [sigh]
bobtheenchantedone
Forum Administrator

Post by bobtheenchantedone »

I mean really guys. I am in a creative writing class. Let's sort out these wrong word uses now before I'm editing the story of a 40-year-old woman who doesn't know the difference between "waived" and "waved."
The Epistler was quite honestly knocked on her ethereal behind by the sheer logic of this.