Answers I liked

What do you think about the latest hot topic from the 100 Hour Board? Speak your piece here!

Moderator: Marduk

Marduk
Most Attractive Mod

Re: Answers I liked

Post by Marduk »

Tally M. wrote:I call her by her 'nym all of the time. Seriously. Even at work, I sometimes slip up and refer to her as Katya instead of her real name to coworkers/supervisors.
I tried to call her by her real name, and she was like, "just, no. Just call me Katya."
Deus ab veritas
Giovanni Schwartz

Post by Giovanni Schwartz »

I want to make pronunciation jokes about your name right now, Katya dear. Something about a hard second letter.
thatonemom

Post by thatonemom »

This has solved my board life-long mystery of what you guys call each other in real life. Like, at board parties and such. Nyms it is, apparently. :)
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

thatonemom wrote:This has solved my board life-long mystery of what you guys call each other in real life. Like, at board parties and such. Nyms it is, apparently. :)
Only for Katya. For everyone else it's usually it's just real names. Unless we don't know your real name yet or can't remember it at the moment.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

I'm trying to think of anyone else that I call by their nym. And the closest I can think of is Lavish. And I don't really call her Lavish. She just happens to have the same first name as another good friend of mine, so when I want to distinguish them, she is FirstName Lavish.
Portia

Post by Portia »

Dragon Lady wrote:I'm trying to think of anyone else that I call by their nym. And the closest I can think of is Lavish. And I don't really call her Lavish. She just happens to have the same first name as another good friend of mine, so when I want to distinguish them, she is FirstName Lavish.
I don't really know Violet's last name and I know lots of people with her first name, so she's Firstname "Violet" on my phone.
Emiliana
The Other Token Non-Mormon

Post by Emiliana »

Oh hey, I think I know who Katya is now.
Tally M.

Post by Tally M. »

Everyone's their 'nym in my phone. Yog is real name or 'nym depending on my mood when I'm in person with her. Most of the time I accidentally call people by their 'nyms.
Dead Cat
Completed

Post by Dead Cat »

My brain defaults to 'nym rather than name for almost everyone.
"If you don't put enough commas in, you won't know where to breathe and will die of asphyxiation"

--Jasper Fforde
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Giovanni Schwartz wrote:Protip: I don't think she really cares if people connect her 'nym with her IRL identity.
I don't want just anyone to know, but I don't mind if writers and regular readers of the Board know.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Tally M. wrote:I call her by her 'nym all of the time. Seriously. Even at work, I sometimes slip up and refer to her as Katya instead of her real name to coworkers/supervisors.
Ha!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

Marduk wrote:
I tried to call her by her real name, and she was like, "just, no. Just call me Katya."
That's because it's weird when Board-related people don't call me Katya.
Violet

Post by Violet »

Phone contact nomenclature:
I gave Squirrel a ride to a boardboard party but I don't think I ever actually got her name. She's just Squirrel. And Portia, you're Firstname Portia in my phone too. And Tally's Firstname Lastname Tally, which is my standard. I think the only board person who doesn't have their nym attached to their phone contact is Anne, Certainly and only because of the circumstances in which we met.

Also, I really liked all of the phone discussion answers to Katya's question. It made me all reminiscent.
Dragon Lady

Post by Dragon Lady »

Violet, were you a writer? I... feel so lost right now. I just know you, and only a little bit, from on here.
Violet

Post by Violet »

No, but somehow I've kept the company of a number of board writers of varying friend circles.
Digit

Post by Digit »

Interesting machine. Looks like something makeable with a Makerbot and 3d models of all the parts.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

http://theboard.byu.edu/questions/75527/
not a BYU student wrote:Can students check out 50 Shades of Gray from the BYU library?
Concorde wrote:Hah. Hah. Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

No.
. . . but you could if E. L. James was Mormon!
Katya
Board Board Patron Saint

Post by Katya »

(Well, probably not check out, but we'd have it in Special Collections. Also, has this kid never heard of a library catalog? You don't have to be a BYU student to see what books we have. That is, in fact, the whole point of my job! :? )
S.A.M.

Post by S.A.M. »

What would happen if he converts to Mormonism?

Are a writer's works included that were written before they were a member? What happens if they leave the church? Would works written post-membership still be included, or would the whole collection be discarded?
Portia

Post by Portia »

I searched the catalog, and there were plenty of articles related to the book that the student could read. I got 404ed. (Fail Quail!)